Sam has extensive experience before all levels of court in Ontario and in private commercial arbitrations. He regularly represents shareholders, officers and directors of both public and private corporations. He also acts frequently in disputes related to the interpretation and enforcement of contractual rights.
Sam has experience acting for clients in a broad variety of industries, including the financial services, real estate development and construction, equipment manufacturing and service, and resource extraction sectors. He has acted for and against financial institutions in cases involving substantial frauds.
Sam also has experience acting for professionals both in civil cases and in regulatory proceedings involving allegations of negligence and professional misconduct.
Sam was named a “Lexpert Rising Star: Leading Lawyers under 40″ in 2015. He has been identified by Benchmark Canada as a “Future Litigation Star”, and is listed in Best Lawyers in Canada in the category of corporate and commercial litigation.
Prior to joining Stockwoods, Sam was a partner of a national full-service law firm. Sam has a B.A. (Hons.) from McGill University and an LL.B. from the University of Toronto. He received numerous academic awards at Law School, and placed in the top 25 at the Bar Admission Course.
Sam is an Instructor at the Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop hosted by Osgoode Hall Law School, and a past member of the Young Advocates Committee of The Advocates’ Society. He is a contributing editor to Corporate Commercial Litigation Journal. Sam speaks regularly on topics related to civil and commercial litigation.
Sam is a member of the Board of Management of All Saints’ Community Centre, which serves street-involved individuals in downtown Toronto.
- Successfully moved to strike claims of breach of fiduciary duty in a proposed unit holders class action against the officers and directors of a REIT.
- Successfully represented a public corporation and its directors in an oppression application seeking to replace the board of directors. Decision upheld on appeal.
- Successfully represented a public corporation in an application to vacate injunctions that restrained its ability to hold an annual meeting of shareholders.
- Successfully represented dissident shareholders of a public corporation in an application for directions regarding the conduct of a contested shareholders’ meeting. The application included consideration of how directors may respond to a shareholder’s requisition for a meeting, and the limits on directors’ ability to issue shares in advance of a contested meeting of shareholders.
- Successfully represented the shareholder of a major real estate enterprise in litigation, arbitrations and negotiations related to the sale and reorganization of those businesses.
- Successfully represented a major insurance company in a four-week bilingual jury trial resulting in a multi-million dollar fraud judgment against a rogue broker.
- Successfully represented a corporation responding to an application by a dissident shareholder to force the adjournment of an annual meeting.
- Successfully represented the purchasers of a major Canadian financial institution in a private arbitration related to the allocation of risk of future class action litigation.
- Successfully represented the vendors of a business in an action to prevent the purchasers from improperly retaining the escrowed portion of the purchase price.
- Co-Author, "Protecting Yourself from Allegations of Incompetence - Advice from Defence Counsel", Canadian Bar Association Immigration Section Annual Conference, April 2016
- "Requisitioned Meetings of Shareholders: An Uneasy Balance of Powers" (2015) 44(4) The Advocates' Quarterly 509
- “Reining in the Long Arm: a look at Canada’s new jurisdictional rules, 18 months later”, ABA Torts, Trial & Insurance Section Newsletter, Winter 2014
- Quoted in “A retainer puts some teeth in the relationship”, Lawyers Weekly, February 8, 2013
- “Foreign Issuers Take Note: The Expanding Reach of Ontario Securities Law”, Client Note (December 6, 2012)
- “Case Comment: National Bank Ltd. v. Potter”, CBA National Civil Litigation Section Newsletter, July, 2012
- “Simplifying the Fight against Fraud: BMP Global Distribution Inc. v. Bank of Nova Scotia” (2009), 13(20) Commercial Litigation 694
- “Not So Secure: Certified Cheques after Esses v. Bank of Montreal” (2008), 12(4) Credit and Banking Litigation 682
- “Case Comment: Buckingham Securities Corp. (Receiver) v. Miller Bernstein LLP” (2008), 12(4) Commercial Litigation 666
- “Unjust Dismissal Under the Canada Labour Code” (2003), 6(1) Management Rights
- “Wallace Damages in Ontario” (2002), 5(2) Management Rights
- “The Rise and Fall of the Ontario Parkway Belt” (2000), 58(2) University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review 157 (winner of The Ontario Expropriation Association Award and The Martin L. Friedland Prize)
- Panelist, "Applying Interviewing Techniques to Your Practice", Advocates' Society Seminar on "Gathering the Best Evidence for your Case", 2016
- Presenter, "Demonstration and Commentary: How To Do It Right the Day of the Motion", Advocates' Society Seminar on Motions for Summary Judgment, 2016
- Panelist (with Ted Marrocco), “Avoiding and Responding to Law Society Complaints”, CBA Immigration Law Conference, 2016
- Speaker, "Protecting/Pursuing the Assets of Owner-Managers and Closely-Held Companies", Osgoode Hall Professional Development Conference "Setting Up/Knocking Down Asset Protection Structures", 2015
- Speaker, "Guarantees", Ontario Bar Association Conference on "Banking Litigation: What Every Litigator and In-House Counsel Needs to Know", 2014
- Speaker, "Special Preliminary Injunctions", Law Society of Upper Canada conference on "Injunctions: A Boot Camp for Civil Litigators", 2014
- Instructor, Osgoode Hall Law School Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016.
- Speaker, “Update on Stipulated Remedies”, HB Professional Development Seminar Series, 2013
- Panelist, "The do's and don'ts of trial work", International Bar Association Annual Conference, 2012
- Panelist (with Luisa Ritacca), “Security for Costs”, Osgoode Hall Professional Development Conference on "Foreign Parties in Ontario Proceedings", 2012
- Speaker, "Retainer Agreements: Their Significance", HB Professional Development Seminar Series, 2012
- Speaker, “Drafting Effective Arbitration Clauses”, HB Professional Development Seminar Series, 2012
- Panelist, “Discovery Techniques”, Advocates’ Society 2008 Fall Forum
- Lecturer, “Construction Tendering Law”, Ontario Road-Builders Association and Ontario Sewer and Watermain Constructors Association Joint Course on Construction Tendering, 2003 and 2004
- Member, The Advocates' Society
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Toronto Lawyers Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Commercial Bar Association (U.K.)
- Benchmark Canada Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, "Litigation Star", 2016
- Lexpert Directory ranked as Repeatedly Recommended in the area of Corporate Commercial Litigation, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in Canada, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2015 to present
- Lexpert Rising Star, "Leading Lawyers Under 40", 2015
- Benchmark Canada Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, “Future Litigation Star”, 2014, 2015
- Lexpert American Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Litigators, “Litigators to Watch”, 2014