Johanna’s practice includes professional negligence cases, securities litigation, employment law, commercial disputes and health law. She often acts for clients who are faced with the difficult task of managing regulatory and civil litigation issues at the same time.
She has served as co-counsel in numerous large commercial trials, including civil fraud, contract disputes and securitization agreements. She has argued before all levels of Court in Ontario.
She has represented individuals and corporations faced with regulatory investigations or prosecutions in the securities industry, including at the Ontario Securities Commission and IIROC. She has also represented plaintiffs and witnesses in securities law cases.
Johanna’s practice includes providing advice and assistance to administrative tribunals, including the discipline and fitness to practice committees of many regulated professions, as well as hospital boards holding hearings regarding physicians’ privileges. She acts as independent legal counsel to these tribunals, and has also represented such bodies in court and in administrative proceedings.
Her employment law practice includes advising and assisting both employees and employers, especially on issues surrounding non-competition and non-solicitation clauses in employment law agreements.
Prior to joining Stockwoods, she served as a law clerk at the Ontario Court of Appeal.
Johanna attended McGill University (B.A. First Class Honours, 1993) and law school at Queen’s University (LL.B., 1996). She was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 1998.
She is a member of The Advocates’ Society, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Toronto Lawyers Association, and the Women’s Legal Education and Action Fund.
- Coventree Inc., Geoff Cornish and Dean Tai
This was an enforcement proceeding before the Ontario Securities Commission with respect to allegations that the respondent company and its directors/officers failed to comply with disclosure obligations under Ontario securities law. The allegations arose out of the market disruption in August 2007 and the liquidity issues in the asset-backed commercial paper market in Canada. Stockwoods is counsel to one of the co-founders and former CEO of the respondent company, a niche investment bank specializing in structured finance using securitization-based financing technology.
- CI Financial Corp
Acted for CI Financial in successful application to the Ontario Securities Commission to quash a decision of the Toronto Stock Exchange regarding a mid-term ratification vote of CI Financial’s Shareholder Rights Agreement;
- Miranda v. Lake Shore Gold Corporation
Acted for successful party on an appeal before the Ontario Court of Appeal concerning the proper interpretation of a change in control agreement;
- Man Financial Canada Co. v. Keuroghlian
Acted at trial and on appeal for successful plaintiff in complex civil fraud trial involving foreign exchange trades
- Metropolitan Toronto Police Widows and Orphans Fund v. Telus Communications Inc.
Acted for Telus at trial and on appeal in action concerning the proper interpretation of securitization agreements;
- Liquor Control Board of Ontario v. Lifford Wine Agencies
Acted for LCBO at the Court of Appeal concerning the fair hearing rights of parties before administrative tribunals;
- Denison Mines Limited v. Ontario Hydro
Acted for successful party in asserting a right to appeal from an arbitration decision;
- Transamerica Occidental Life Insurance Company v. Toronto-Dominion Bank
Acted for successful party on appeal from a motion granting summary judgment in an action for negligent misrepresentation;
- Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd. v. Bristol-Myers Squibb Canada Inc and Cancer Care Ontario
Acted for a successful defendant in obtaining summary judgment dismissing a claim of injurious falsehood;
- Independent Legal Counsel
As ILC to various administrative tribunals in Ontario, Johanna assists these tribunals in fulfilling their statutory mandates in a fair, effective and efficient manner. She also provides independent legal assistance through acting as Independent Supervising Solicitor in the execution of Anton Piller orders.
- “The Expertise of the Ontario Securities Commission,” prepared for The Advocates’ Society Securities Law Symposium, 14 September 2011
- “The Role of Independent Legal Counsel at Administrative Tribunal Hearings”, prepared for the Law Society of Upper Canada’s 6 Minute Administrative Lawyer, February 2011
- “Reinstatement Applications Under Section 72 of the Health Professions Procedural Code: a Faint Hope Clause?” Health Law in Canada, vol. 30 no. 4 (June 2010)
- “Procedural Fairness/Bias: The Latest Word”, prepared for the Law Society of Upper Canada’s 6 Minute Administrative Lawyer, February 2010
- “Asset-Backed Commercial Paper: Do Hard Facts Always Make Bad Law?” (2008), Toronto Law Journal
- “Making and Writing Effective Tribunal Decisions and Reasons” (2006), Canadian Institute
- “Conducting Workplace Investigations” (1999) H.R. Intelligence, Federated Press – with Brian Gover
- “A Young Lawyer’s Diary” (1999) 18 Advocates Society Journal
- “Class Action Reform in the United States: The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995” (1998) Corporate Liability Journal, Federated Press
- The Law Society of Upper Canada’s 6 Minute Administrative Lawyer (2009, 2010 and 2011)
- The Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development Short Course, “Prosecuting and Defending Professional Discipline Cases” (2010 and 2011)
- The Advocates’ Society Securities Law Symposium (2011)
- The Canadian Institute’s Fundamentals of Administrative Law and Practice (2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011)
- The Canadian Institute’s Advanced Administrative Law (2010)
- The Advocates’ Society, “Legal Risk Management in Retail Investment”, November 2009
- The Advocates’ Society “Do a Trial!” program (Coach, 2010 and 2011)
- The Advocates’ Society “Do a Motion!” program (Coach, 2011)
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
- Member, LEAF
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Toronto Lawyers Association