Brian practises commercial litigation, competition law, criminal and regulatory law, discipline proceedings, general civil litigation and administrative law. He has consistently been given an AV ® (preeminent) rating by the Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings system.
He acts on behalf of our private clients, as well as for numerous regulators and administrative agencies.
Brian joined our team in 1994. Prior to Stockwoods, he served as counsel in the Crown Law Office – Criminal within the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney-General. As Crown counsel, Brian argued appeals before the Ontario Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada and conducted special prosecutions. Brian subsequently served as the Executive Legal Officer to Ontario’s Superior Court of Justice from 1991 to 1993. He is a Fellow of both the American College of Trial Lawyers and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
Brian has frequently acted as counsel on federal and provincial Commissions of Inquiry. In that role, he has served as Commission counsel on the Walkerton Inquiry, Arar Inquiry and the Air India Inquiry. He was lead counsel for the Office of the Chief Coroner of Ontario at the Goudge Inquiry and represented the Commissioner of the Cornwall Public Inquiry.
Brian speaks and writes on a broad variety of topics and is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education programs. He has served as adjunct faculty at The University of Western Ontario (“Western”) law school and is currently an Adjunct Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School, teaching administrative law.
He attended law school at Western (B.A., 1978; LL.B., 1981) and was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 1983.
- Commission Counsel: Walkerton Inquiry, 2000-2002, Arar Commission, 2004-2006; Air India Inquiry, 2006-2010
- Lead counsel for the Office of the Chief Coroner of Ontario at the Goudge Inquiry and represented the Commissioner of the Cornwall Public Inquiry on judicial review applications and appeals.
- Served as Executive Legal Officer to Ontario’s Superior Court of Justice from 1991 to 1993
- Served as counsel in the Crown Law Office – Criminal within the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney-General. As Crown counsel, argued appeals before the Ontario Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Canada.
- Contributor, Barristers & Solicitors in Practice, [now Canadian Legal Practice], Butterworths, 1998
- Co-Author, The Criminal Lawyers’ Guide to Extraordinary Remedies, Canada Law Book, 2000
- Co-Author, Canadian Legal Practice, LexisNexis, 2009
- Editor-in-Chief, Corporate Liability Journal, Federated Press, 1998—
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2009-present (Administrative Law)
- Instructor, Trial Practice Course, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2004-2006
- Adjunct Professor of Law, The University of Western Ontario, 1998-2002 (Professional Discipline Law)
- Seminar Instructor, Bar Admission Course, 1988-1997 (Advocacy and Criminal Procedure)
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Criminal Lawyers’ Association
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers