Aaron maintains a broad advocacy and advisory practice, enabling him to assist clients in a wide range of areas, encompassing both private and public law matters. Aaron has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, as well as in the Federal Court of Canada, and is able to serve clients in both English and French.
Aaron’s civil litigation practice has involved commercial, defamation, fraud, competition and other types of claims, and includes class actions. He has developed expertise in matters involving injunctive relief, such as Anton Piller orders, as well as questions of interest to international litigants, such as the jurisdiction of Ontario tribunals, and the gathering of evidence in Ontario for use in foreign proceedings.
Aaron’s regulatory and administrative law practice has included proceedings before a variety of regulatory tribunals, including as counsel to parties before the Ontario Securities Commission, the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, and regular appearances as commission counsel at the Ontario Racing Commission. Aaron has also appeared on a number of judicial review applications in the Divisional Court, and provides independent legal advice to committees of self-regulating professional bodies and other tribunals, in respect of the conduct of evidentiary hearings, and other matters.
He has been a volunteer lawyer with the Child Advocacy Project of Pro Bono Law Ontario and has represented children in proceedings under the Education Act and the Human Rights Code. Aaron has also assisted unrepresented litigants in the Court of Appeal, in Provincial Offences Act and other matters, as part of Pro Bono Law Ontario’s Court of Appeal Duty Counsel Project.
Aaron joined Stockwoods LLP in 2003, after clerking with Associate Chief Justice Dennis O’Connor, and Justices Louise Charron, Stephen Borins and Robert Armstrong of the Court of Appeal for Ontario.
He attended the University of Toronto (B.A., Sociology/French Translation, 1996) and McGill University (LL.B., 2001).
Aaron was called to the bar in Ontario in 2002.
He is Managing Editor of the Advocates’ Journal, and is a member and ex officio director of The Advocates’ Society. He is also a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association, and the Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario.
- Attorney General of Ontario v Hanif
Co-counsel for the Ontario College of Pharmacists in an appeal from a decision of the Discipline Committee of the College, concerning the interpretation of certain provisions of the Health Professions Procedural Code
- Representing a French-speaking respondent before the Ontario Securities Commission in enforcement proceedings, concerning public statements in the mineral exploration sector
- Smith v. Inco Limited
Co-counsel for the Law Foundation of Ontario in the determination of costs of a 45-day common issues trial, in a class action involving financial support from the Class Proceedings Fund
- D'Mello v Law Society of Upper Canada
Representing the Law Society of Upper Canada in responding to an application before the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
- Brown et al. v Spagnuolo et al.
Representing a Bermudian resident in a motion to dismiss an Ontario action against him on grounds of jurisdiction
- Airia Brands Inc. et al v. Air Canada et al
Representing a foreign air cargo carrier in a proposed class proceeding involving an alleged price-fixing conspiracy
- Canada (Attorney General) v. Almalki
Co-counsel for litigants in a federal court application under s. 38 of the Canada Evidence Act (concerning claims of privilege by the Government of Canada on the grounds that disclosure of information would be injurious to international relations or national defence or national security)
- Landry c. Barreau du Haut-Canada
Co-counsel for the Law Society of Upper Canada in a French-language judicial review concerning the linguistic rights of a member subject to disciplinary proceedings
- Lester v. Ontario Racing Commission
Representing the Administration of the Ontario Racing Commission in a judicial review of a decision of the Commission to fine and suspend the licences of two horse trainers
- Walden Electrical Ltd. v Lopes Mechanical Limited et al
Acting for a defendant in setting aside an Anton Piller order, on the grounds of material non-disclosure by the plaintiff
- Representing the Law Foundation of Ontario in the determination of costs in various class proceedings involving the Class Proceedings Fund
- Representing respondents in enforcement proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission
- Providing independent legal advice to committees of self-regulating professional bodies
- Representing children in proceedings under the Education Act and the Human Rights Code (through the Child Advocacy Project of Pro Bono Law Ontario)
- Author, "Re Kachkar: Is the Public Interest Entitled to Procedural Fairness?" Canadian Journal of Administrative Law & Practice, Volume 28, No. 1, 2015
- Author, "Your Rules or Mine? Choosing a Procedure When Gathering Evidence in Ontario for Foreign Proceedings", Corporate Litigation, Volume XIII, No. 3 (Federated Press), 2014
- Author, "Commercial Third Party Funding of Class Actions in Ontario: Eight Early Lessons”, Second Annual Securities Litigation Practice Group Symposium, The Advocates’ Society, 2012
- Co-Author (with Christopher Wirth), “Norwich Pharmacal Orders” (chapter), Interlocutory Proceedings, Canada Law Book
- Co-Author (with Brian Gover), “Supervision and Enforcement of Anton Piller Orders”, Ontario Bar Association: Injunctions – Everything You Need To Know, November 10, 2005
- Co-Author (with Brian Gover), “Regulatory Negligence: Are You at Risk?”, Federated Press Conference: Government Security and Business Continuity Planning, May 25-27, 2004
- Managing Editor, Advocates' Journal
- Co-chair, "Junior Counsel Forum", Advocates’ Society, 2016
- Speaker, "Social Media in the Regulatory Context: Special Legal Topics", Ontario Regulatory Authorities continuing professional development program, 2016
- Skills Instructor, "Advocacy Boot Camp", Crown Counsel Summer School, Ministry of the Attorney General (Ontario), 2015
- Speaker, "Développements récents dans le domaine du droit des valeurs mobilières: le délit d’initié" (Recent developments in securities law: insider trading), Annual Conference of the Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario, 2015
- Panelist, "Demonstration and Commentary on Effective Advocacy with Financial Statements", Advocates' Society Program on Understanding Financial Statements: A Litigator's Guide to Persuading with Numbers, 2015
- Speaker, "Openings and Closings Before Administrative Tribunals", and Workshop Instructor, Advocates' Society Administrative Tribunal Advocacy Program, 2015
- Speaker, "Judicial Review", Professional Regulation and Discipline in the Ontario Health Care Sector, Osgoode Professional Development Certificate Program, 2014
- Speaker, "The Role of a Tribunal's Independent Legal Counsel", Ontario Regulatory Authorities continuing professional development program, 2014
- Speaker, "Effective Advocacy in Administrative Law", Brown Bag Series, Advocates' Society and partners, 2013
- Co-chair, Third Annual Securities Symposium, Advocates' Society Securities Litigation Practice Group, 2013
- Speaker, "Prosecuting and Defending Foreign Requests for Evidence", Osgoode Professional Development Conference on Foreign Parties in Ontario Proceedings, 2012
- Teacher, Trial Advocacy, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2012-
- Member & Ex Officio Director, The Advocates' Society
- Member, Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Board Member, University of Toronto Schools Alumni Association